2A3 Dual Program EQ
Vintage Tube Amplifiers and Custom-Designed Transformers set the soundstage. True Passive Equalization creates Bountiful and Musical Equalization curves. The new RETRO 2A3 is designed as an ultra High-Fidelity Program Equalizer whose sonic benefits go beyond the equalization process. Accurate to the industry-standard Pultec EQ performance, the RETRO 2A3 adds HF boost frequencies in several new sweet spots. Carefully implemented HF boost circuits capture the signature sound of the original passive equalizers. Use these settings to make individual tracks fit in place. Make a vocal shine and add distinct presence. There are many satisfying applications, most notably the stereo mix buss.
A new Subsonic Filter allows you to do peaking low frequency boosts that tame the excessive subsonic energy exhibited in the original design if that’s what you want. Utilizing the interstage transformer, the filter not only reduces the subsonic energy but also provides distinct transformer tonal characteristics for tracking and mixing. The filter has settings of 40 and 90 Hz with a peaking response and sharp cutoff. The 40 Hz setting has no apparent loss of lows as it adds excitement to the 35-40 Hz region that is golden in many listening environments. The smoothing effect is pleasantly apparent throughout the midrange. It is easily switched-out for applications that require tight, accurate low frequency response.
In consideration of the limited real estate in your rack, the RETRO 2A3 packs two EQ channels into one 2U space with surprising freedom of movement, ease of adjustment and familiarity. Use the two channels for stereo, separately on independent tracks or cascaded for extended equalization possibilities. The channel separation exceeds 70 dB.
The RETRO 2A3 passive equalizer circuits do not rely on amplifier feedback, which can cause a harsh and clinical sound in typical active equalizer designs. By incorporating pure passive Capacitor - Inductor based equalization; the RETRO 2A3 sounds so natural and effortless even with extreme boosts and cuts. We also gave special attention to the Pultec-style bass boost/bass cut method that is essential to a powerful bass and kick drum EQ. This involves simultaneous low frequency boosts and lower-mid cuts that can scoop out the mud and add real punch. Quite simply, there are benefits to having the RETRO 2A3 in line without even equalizing, as the tube amplification has it’s own unique musicality. The RETRO 2A3 Dual Channel Tube Program Equalizer provides a very useful palette of colors and textures ready for tracking, mixing and mastering.
- Signal to noise ratio of greater than 76dB
- Channel Separation greater than 70 dB
- Frequency response is flat within 1 dB from 20 Hz-20,000 Hz
- Harmonic Distortion is less than 1% from 20 Hz-20,000 Hz
- Industry-standard Passive EQ with authentic feel, controls and equalization curves
- Additional HF Boost Frequencies for more precise control
- Easily recallable 100-position knob scales on boost and cut controls
- A ganged interstage-coupled Subsonic High-Pass Filter provides Peaking LF Boosts with alternate tonal characteristics
- Transformer Balanced and fully-floating 600 Ohm Input and Output to eliminate ground-induced hum and noise
- LF Boost Settings of 20, 30, 60 and 100 Hz
- Complementary LF Cut settings of 20, 30, 60 and 100 Hz
- HF Boost Settings of 1.5 kHz, 3 kHz, 4 kHz, 5 kHz, 6 kHz, 8 kHz, 10 kHz, 12 kHz, 14 kHz and 16 kHz
- Complementary HF Cut Settings of 5 kHz, 10 kHz and 20 kHz
- Vintage Class AB tube amplification for unity-gain make-up
- Equalization Bypass Switches
- Size 2U Height: 19" wide x 3.5" tall x 9" deep
- XLR input and output connections
- IEC power connector
- 115/230V 50-60 Hz Switchable AC Mains
- Uses readily available 12AX7(2) and 12AU7(2) electron tubes
- Tube substitutions are possible with internal unity gain calibration and jumper selectable 6 or 12 volt tube configuration
- Design minimizes tube heat generation
- High stability components used throughout
- Steel Chassis built to last
- Manufactured in the USA
- Full factory support
Tape OpJune 2013
- F. Reid Shippen See more...
“The midrange is my favorite part of this box. It’s my personal opinion that the midrange of the RETRO 2A3 is the best I’ve ever heard. It’s a difficult range to do well, and the RETRO nails it.”
What people are saying about the Retro Instruments 2A3
“The Retro Instruments 2A3 has become my new ‘go to’ on kick. Clean and open but big with lots of character. Everything Retro Instruments makes is just quality tone recording studio gear.”Joe ChiccarelliGrammy-Winning Producer, Engineer & Mixer
“The Retro Instruments 2A3 eq is just stunning. I have been loving taking one side and sending it into the other side; creamy, juicy and sweet on the bass. The combo side of the Retro Instruments Sta-Level and the Retro Instruments 2A3 on bass is unbeatable. Retro Instruments has created an instant winner.”Ross HogarthGrammy-Winning Producer
“I’m loving my Retro Instruments 2A3. I use it across my recording mix every day.”Michael BrauerGrammy-Winning Producer & Engineer