[ NEW! ] REVOLVER Dual-Channel Tube Compressor
The Retro Instruments REVOLVER - A Revolution in a Rack.
When you first put your ears to the Retro Instruments REVOLVER, you’ll hear some very legendary compression, an ingredient many have kept secret. You will hear lively and vibrant dynamics, the same you have imagined for your own project. Now you will know the sound, it’s as unmistakable as applesauce.
Years of Development.
As an experimental project in 2011, a few Retro Instruments REVOLVER’s were built and field tested with select studios. We started with the famous British-modified Altec 436 compressor and added features you need for tracking, mixing and mastering. We needed it right for Rev. A. Here it is.
The Retro Instruments REVOLVER puts You in Control.
For the first time ever, you get all the adjustments to dial in the type of dynamics you’ve heard on numerous albums. We’ve added features like a side-chain filter, stereo linking and continuously variable threshold, attack and release.
Built like a Tank.
The Retro Instruments REVOLVER might be guilty of being slightly overbuilt here in the USA, but it’s definitely done purposely to give you years of uninterrupted performance. Each unit passes a series of critical tests. Tubes and other components are selected for top performance and proper stereo tracking
- A most desired compression signature.
- Ideal for the stereo bus and excels at tracking, mixing and mastering.
- Independent controls with stereo linking.
- Continuously variable input, output, attack, release and threshold.
- Dual Threshold Control allows control of ratio and amplifier saturation.
- Low noise and high separation.
- High-quality audio transformers deliver low distortion and ruler flat response.
- Fully differential all-tube signal path.
- Transformer-balanced inputs and outputs on XLR connectors
- Illuminated VU meters
- Front panel meter zero controls.
- Internal tube balancing facility.
- 120 or 240 Volt operation.
- Number of Channels: 2
- Controls: Input, Output, Attack, Release, Threshold, Side-chain filter select, Stereo Link
- Ratio: Adjustable between 1.5:1 and 5:1
- Usable Input level range: -20 to +20 dBu
- Output level range: -30 to +18 dBu
- Output clip level: +23 dBu (1% dist)
- Attack Time: 2 to 40 milliseconds
- Release Time: 200 milliseconds to 2 seconds
- Highpass side-chain filter: Selectable 6 dB detector rolloff at 90 or 250 Hz.
- Distortion: Less than 0.05% below compression threshold. Approx. 1% at full-scale compression.
- Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz. ± 0.5 dB
- Rack Space: 2U
- Depth: 9.5 inches
- Weight: 22 pounds
- Connections: IEC Power, XLR input and output x2
- Power Requirements: 120 VAC or 240 VAC. 22 Watts
- Fuse Rating: Standard fast-blow 3AG-style fuse. 1 A 120 VAC, 1/2A 240 VAC
Barry Rudolph / MIX MagazineMay 10 2018
- Barry Rudolph See more...
I’ve been using Revolver here at my studio as a tracking processor for grand piano and stereo synthesizer pads when I want just a slight amount or subtle control. Just passing audio through it without any compression changes the sound for the better. When hard pressed for maximum gain reduction, I found Revolver never to “dull out” or sound distorted like many compressors.
Vintage KingFeb 19, 2018
- Vintage King See more...
Retro Instruments Revolver | Compressor | Vintage King video review
What people are saying about the Retro Instruments REVOLVER
“The Retro Instruments REVOLVER is the perfect way to add subtle or over the top mojo to stereo mixes or to single instruments while tracking . The Retro Revolver is 60’s magic dust in box!!”Devin Powers7 Time Ascap Award Winning Composer